Dalhousie, the shiretown of Restigouche County since 1837, is situated on the Bay of Chaleur, the name given to our bay by Jacques Cartier in 1534.
Dalhousie’s first Acadian settlers, Louis and Joseph Arseneault, arrived around 1796; years later in 1820 came a massive wave of immigration. Settling on the Bay of Chaleur with the Micmacs and a few Acadians, were Scottish immigrants who came from the Isle of Arran in Scotland. Captain John Hamilton, one of the first settlers, brought many immigrants with him. A monument in his name can be found next to the Dalhousie Centennial Library.
Dalhousie was named in 1826 after the ninth Earl of Dalhousie, George Ramsay, who was Governor General of Upper and Lower Canada. Dalhousie became incorporated as a Town in 1905.